- Voices of Today Nat’l Youth Fest
London Poetry Slam sent its first youth team to the national youth festival Voices of Today, in Toro…
- Your 2017 London Poetry Slam team!
Congrats to Grand Slam Champ Michelle, and team members TedO, Alan, Eric, and Benjamin!
- Congrats Eric, our Indies Qualifier Slam winner!
Congratulations to Eric for winning our January Indies Qualifier Slam!
Eric will be traveling to…
- London Poetry Slam takes SECOND at CFSW 2016!!
London Poetry Slam finished second place overall, behind champions Guelph Poetry Slam, at the 2016 C…
- Your 2016 London Poetry Slam team!
Congratulations to Grand Slam Champion Alan, and team members Eric, Jayme, Inali, and Levi!
- Voices of Today Nat’l Youth Fest
INDIES QUALIFIER Slam ft Jon Hedderwick
Event Date: January 19, 2018 -
Event Time: 8:00pm (doors 7)
Event Location: 470 Colborne St London ON
London Poetry Slam is happy to hold its fourth annual Indies Qualifier Slam!
This slam will take the place of our regular January slam to give our top poets a chance to battle it out to represent London at the Canadian Individual Poetry Slam (CIPS) in April in Vancouver, BC!
What you need to know about our Indies Qualifier Slam:
1. Poets have qualified for this slam based on our standings thus far. Competing poets to be named asap. Please note that there will be NO SIGN UP & NO OPEN MIC at this slam due to time constraints.
2. This slam will be a 1-2-3 slam – All poets will perform in all 3 rounds; a 1 minute round, a 2 minute round, and a 3 minute round. Standard time penalties will apply after the 10 second grace period. Scores will be cumulative.
3. All other standard slam rules apply (but no team pieces) – No props, no costumes, no musical instruments, original work only, memorization is optional, no hate speech.
The winner of our Qualifier Slam will rep London Poetry Slam at Indies!
What you need to know about Indies:
1. This year Indies (the Canadian Individual Poetry Slam aka CIPS) will run April 25th – Apr 28th, 2018. CIPS is part of the annual Verses Festival of Words in Vancouver, BC in April.
2. CIPS is a national slam competition for 40 of Canada’s top poets. Most spots will be filled by slam scene representatives, but there are spots open for ‘storm poets’ to sign up (if you want to go to Indies but do not win our Qualifier Slam, look into this!)
Our Indies Qualifier feature poet is Jon Hedderwick from Peterborough ON!
Jon Hedderwick is a poet, activist, film producer, organizer and educator of mixed Ashkenazi Jewish and Scottish ancestry. He lives as a settler on the land of the Mississauga Anishinabek in Nogojiwanong – Peterborough, Ontario where he performs, organizes and mentors emerging poets with the Peterborough Poetry Slam Collective. Jon was the Festival Director for the 2017 Canadian Festival of Spoken Word (CFSW). He has performed and taught workshops across the country individually and as a member of three Peterborough Poetry Slam Teams. The film Pushback, which he helped to produce with Free Food Films, premiered in early 2017 and is currently making its way across the film festival circuit.
Jan Indies Qualifier London Poetry Slam details:
Slam time: Friday Jan 19th, 8pm (doors 7)
Slam spot: London Music Club (470 Colborne St)
Slam price: ONLY $5
NOTE THERE IS NO SIGN UP OR OPEN MIC AT THIS EVENT
Check out our Facebook Group ‘London Poetry Slam’ for the event invite and follow us on Twitter @LDNPoetrySlam