- Voices of Today National Youth Festival
by Jill O’Craven
In the last week of July, London Poetry Slam sent a team to the second annual Vo…
- Congrats Michelle, our Indies Qualifier Slam winner!
Congratulations to Michelle for winning our January Indies Qualifier Slam!
Michelle will be trave…
- Voices of Today Nat’l Youth Fest
London Poetry Slam sent its first youth team to the national youth festival Voices of Today, in Toro…
- Your 2017 London Poetry Slam team!
Congrats to Grand Slam Champ Michelle, and team members TedO, Alan, Eric, and Benjamin!
- Congrats Eric, our Indies Qualifier Slam winner!
Congratulations to Eric for winning our January Indies Qualifier Slam!
Eric will be traveling to…
- Voices of Today National Youth Festival
Jan Indies Qualifier London Poetry Slam
Event Date: January 18, 2019 -
Event Time: 8:00pm (doors 7pm)
Event Location: 470 Colborne St London
London Poetry Slam is happy to hold its fifth annual Indies Qualifier Slam!
This slam will take the place of our regular January slam to give our top poets a chance to battle it out to represent London at the Canadian Individual Poetry Slam (CIPS) in April in Vancouver, BC!
What you need to know about our Indies Qualifier Slam:
1. Poets have qualified for this slam based on our standings thus far. Competing poets to be named asap. Please note that there will be NO SIGN UP & NO OPEN MIC at this slam due to time constraints.
2. This slam will be a 1-2-3 slam – All poets will perform in all 3 rounds; a 1 minute round, a 2 minute round, and a 3 minute round. Standard time penalties will apply after the 10 second grace period. Scores will be cumulative.
3. All other standard slam rules apply (but no team pieces) – No props, no costumes, no musical instruments, original work only, memorization is optional, no hate speech.
The winner of our Qualifier Slam will rep London Poetry Slam at Indies!
What you need to know about Indies:
1. This year Indies (the Canadian Individual Poetry Slam aka CIPS) will run April 25th – May 4th, 2018, 2018. CIPS is part of the annual Verses Festival of Words in Vancouver, BC in April.
2. CIPS is a national slam competition for 40 of Canada’s top poets. Most spots will be filled by slam scene representatives, but there are spots open for ‘storm poets’ to sign up (if you want to go to Indies but do not win our Qualifier Slam, look into this!)
Our Indies Qualifier feature poet is Kimberley Jae from New Orleans!
Born in New Orleans and transplanted to the East Coast via Hurricane Katrina, Kimberly Jae is an actress, director, playwright, Slam poet, educator, mother and cancer survivor. K. began her career in the arts attending the famed New Orleans Center for the Creative Arts, and later received her BA, teacher and principal licenses as well as a Masters in Education. K. founded The PlayGround Children’s Theatre Company in 1998 while still in college. Writing and directing children eventually morphed to teaching teachers how to teach children using theater and finally teaching and school administration. K. has served as a principal of K-8 charter schools as well as a teacher. Recently she opened a pop up restaurant called Southern Slider Bar. Kimberly is the 2018 Grand Slam Champion of Steel City Slam, 2018 BOSS Slam Queen of Slam Champion, 2018 Steel City Slam IWPS Rep, three time Pajama Jammy Jam Slam Champion as well as 2018 Finalist for Baltimore’s Slammageddon Slam. Kimberly is currently ranked #29 in the world by Poetry Slam International. Kimberly is also being published in early 2019 by Finishing Line Press in their upcoming cancer survivor anthology, Anthology for Young Adults with Cancer. Her first chapbook, The Fuckery Monologues, is available for purchase at Red Emma’s Bookstore in Baltimore, MD. When not writing, K. slams and cooks whatever comes into her imagination.
Jan Indies Qualifier London Poetry Slam details:
Slam time: Friday Jan 18th, 8pm (doors 7)
Slam spot: London Music Club (470 Colborne St)
Slam price: ONLY $5
NOTE THERE IS NO SIGN UP OR OPEN MIC AT THIS EVENT
Check out our Facebook Group ‘London Poetry Slam’ for the event invite and follow us on Twitter @LDNPoetrySlam